Unique weapon systems?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrazyElf, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CrazyElf

CrazyElf Lieutenant

Do we want lots of unique weapons systems that are really cool?

Sword of the Stars for example:
    • Different types of projectiles - top one was AP drivers and HEAP in SOTS2; there were late game upgrades, most notably neutronium drivers. Long range weapons like Impactors also existed.
    • Missiles of varying types, from DOT ones to ones that split into many warheads
    • Mines (not just more damage, but special effects, like being able to "leap" and "gravity" ones that slowed the enemy
    • Pulse phasers (kind of like Star Trek distruptors); top ones looked like blue turbolasers
    • Point defense (came in pulsed, beam, and missile format)
    • Torpedoes (varying effects from raw damage to AOE to EMP type weapons)
    • Specialized weapons like emitters that did splash damage
    • Fixed cutting beams
    • Heavy ordnance launchers that fired specialized projectiles
    • Biological weapons and siege drivers
    • Beams (many types, from raw damage to ones that acted like a tractor beam and stripped turrets off)
    • Heavy projectors that offered rapid fire or a projector that did huge damage to one target (meson)

The point is that there were many different types of weapons.

One thing I would like to see is unique weapons for each race. That way there is a reason to play a race, as in it is not just a race with a slightly different color palette.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Camphibian

Camphibian Cadet

For my humble 2.0 +/- .5 cents,
    may I suggest that various weapon styles lead into combat doctrine: The age of sail with its ships of the line and massed broadsides to stealth multi role vessels for hit and run of priority targets.

Match sets of weapons with doctrine obsoleting of them and as new techs are discovered.

Obtaining weapons with a range advantage presumes a tactic which keeps opponents out of their effective range but in turn could stimulate the a doctrine of increased short range firepower and ninja hit and run breakthroughs from the enemy.

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1