"Vote for me!" diplomacy action

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Björn, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Björn

Björn Ensign

Hi there,

I have a game with a large universe running and basically I won. I could conquer all races, but this is not in my interest. All I need is that they are voting for me.

There are three races and we are allied or have diplomatic relationships. I gave them some presents etc and my job is done. But this won't work with some other races and the only way is conquering the planets and getting enough votes. Is there a way of pushing them to get the votes?

bye
    Björn

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi, asking others to vote was suggested in the past and is in our big list of items to consider at some point. Not every item will make it though, so we'll see. For the moment, improving relations is the way to go to get others to vote for you. Even empires that may be angry at you could consider accepting a trade treaty, and with enough time, gifts, and possibly with some intrigue (sending expert spies to frame other empires), maybe they would like you more than your opponent.

We are looking into additional ways on how to bring a big game to a close faster with additional diplomatic options. In the meantime, and in that game you're currently playing, perhaps you can sway a couple of the other empires to your cause, and maybe that could give you enough votes to win? If that's not possible, then you'll have to look at your largest enemy, or a couple of the weaker ones, and try to take them down. Even weakening one or more of the other empires could be enough, depending on the amount of votes you'd need to win.

3. Björn

Björn Ensign

Hi Adam,
    Thanks a lot. I will try this. As usual, a game like yours has always room for improvements. Maybe just crashing them down and donating the planets to other races nearby is a good strategy.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

This caught my attention as it describes a situation I have encountered multiple times. Basically, I find myself unable to sway the game via diplomacy due to extremely hostile relations and am left only with a military course to victory. Invariably I get to the point where I know I've won, but have no desire to take or destroy enough colonies in order to be presented with a victory screen. It's adequate, but it does seem to lack a sense of closure. That's not ideal, this game is too good to let something like that tarnish it.

May I suggest a couple of easy fixes/additions here that could help the game avoid a mop up the galaxy situation?

Perhaps two more basic and optional victory conditions would be ideal in accomplishing this goal.

The first is something found in many similar games, a timed victory condition. The player could set the number of turns the game is to be played at the start, whoever gets to be number one in X amount of turns wins. It's basic, perhaps not glamorous, but extremely easy to integrate on your end. I'll call this "countdown" for lack of a better term.

The second I will name "domination"

This victory condition could fire on the player controlling either half of the systems on map or half of the original capitals. (perhaps even both?) It would be faster than accruing enough votes to get 2/3 when one has no allies and all other races are antagonistic towards the player. Yet at the same time, it would be difficult enough to accomplish that the victory would feel real.
    These could be player only victory conditions as many games have done it, or if included as conditions for the AI, the player could choose to fight on (as is the case now in the event of a lost galactic vote). The only issue with that though (including these as AI conditions), is that if the player refuses the outcome in the event of a "loss" he/she would be right back at having to mop up the entire map.

In either case, I think that you can find multiple ways to address this with little effort, the game would become richer as a result, it's a no lose proposition.

5. Björn

Björn Ensign

The new Master Of Orion game has a technology victory. Moo also has the time based limit, but I've never used it. GalCiv plays with the idea of culture domination, but I've never played it enough to give it a good or negative review. The new Master Of Orion has this "Vote for me" demand and this helps finishing games with large universes. I don't ask you to copy the feature from the other games, but I am sure you will find something relating to this ways of ending a game and it will fit to your game play.

Looking forward to try it out..

6. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

There is nothing wrong with copying victory conditions from other games @Björn it is almost impossible not to do so.
    This situation you describe, is something I've encountered numerous times. Indeed, for certain play-styles, it is almost guaranteed to occur. For a game like ISG, (which gives me more mileage than even Stellaris), it seems like an oversight to allow this to occur. A simple fix would only create benefits, there is nothing to be lost by addressing this issue IMO.