Can't progress battle due to large number of ships

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by medway, Aug 4, 2019.

1. medway

medway Lieutenant

In regard to my other post I'm not getting attcked by these big fleets and can't get past the first turn. The AI makes some moves but then it just stalls. Over 200 ships in their fleet.

Attached Files:

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

How the heck did that happen? I've never seen anything like it. What turn is it if I may ask?

3. medway

medway Lieutenant

Around turn 480. Here's a screenshot of how much land Moltor has

984680_screenshots_20190804034614_1.jpg

This is what the battle looks like against about 220 units. I counted two fleets one with 164 or so ships and then one with over 200. There might be more fleets like that.

Note it doesn't actually display 200 on the tactical screen, they must be stacked:

984680_screenshots_20190804040427_1.jpg

4. medway

medway Lieutenant

My Titan stats are quite a bit higher than theirs so want to try this fight :) Check out my attack and damage modifiers.

Captained by this guy:

Expensive but might be worth it

984680_screenshots_20190804035230_1.jpg

5. Konstantine

Ohhh. You're goofing off... I get it. Where's the mop, I would like to introduce you to the deck.

Ok my friend, you're experimenting and toying with the bugged leader, I see this isn't a likely occurrence yet it is still good to know how the game behaves under these conditions.

6. medway

medway Lieutenant

Yup just messing around on this one as I know it will be patched. I'm slowly trying to whittle them down. They keep sending this massive fleet to one of the systems I'm attacking. They should break it up into smaller ones and do some actual damage to me.

Since I can flee each time it renders their fleet useless. Then again I'm on average so I bet the AI is not programmed to be as aggressive on this level.

But should the AI have this big of a fleet? That seems a separate issue from the leader.

Saw them field an even bigger fleet now:

download.jpg

7. medway

medway Lieutenant

And to clarify this title of this thread. I can at least do auto combat so that it makes me flee. I just can't do the battle manually.

8. Konstantine

No, this is a very extreme and unlikely scenario, the game will be won or lost long before this, especially on normal

9. medway

medway Lieutenant

What do you think caused it to get like this then?

10. Konstantine

The game going to turn 480 is the biggest culprit. Normal is usually over by 250, harder settings can go another 100 turns. 480 turns is territory that none of us has explored.

11. medway

medway Lieutenant

Ok just to be clear the red is the AI (and the big fleet is theirs). So not a mop up in that sense if that's what you mean. In this case I wasn't trying to extend the play time it just worked out that way. They did win the council but I played on so I guess in that respect I did keep it going.

12. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

The game certainly has some issues when the turn count starts to get really high. I typically end the game long before this point. There are several thread on Steam about the burdens of late game management.

Micromanagement of colonies and fleets is an issue when the game gets this many turns in. Turn-based combat I am sure has major issues and takes far too long as well.

Colony micromanagement will improve when automated governors are added in the future. You won't need to spend much time at all in your less important colonies after that. The governor will operate with minimal guidance from you to optimize the colony, similar to how the AI optimizes its own colonies.

Turn-based combat is just not inherently built to support unlimited amounts of ships. One alternative may be to limit the number of ships that can be used per engagement. Say 20 ships per side (subject to change) or something like that? This would mean these huge engagements would take place over several turns depending on fleet sizes. It would not be one all or nothing battle, but a series of them. On top of that, the fleets involved would be tied up and unable to engage other fleets for awhile. If you flee, you would not actually flee until the entire multi battle engagement was over. An interesting idea for the future anyway.

While games shouldn't run this long, there are people actively petitioning for longer, more epic games. It would be nice if we could make some strides towards making their experience slightly more pleasant.

13. aReclusiveMind

Sounds like your game is over. You are just asking for trouble. ;)

14. medway

medway Lieutenant

Ha yes I just remembered that when posting. So that does explain it to an extent. But I think it should still work if you go beyond that point.

When losing to the council I think says you can either submit to that and the game ends, or the factions go to war to you. That isn't explicitly saying you lost, just giving an option to surrender or fight. So I am actually abiding by the rules of the game by continuing. This is different from when you win the council and tell it to keep playing as then it makes sense to quit unless you want to keep going (and in that case the situation would be reverse, you wouldn't have the AI fielding large fleets thus avoiding this problem ever coming up).

If the game shouldn't progress then it should say we lost and then ask if you want to continue if you want (at your own risk).

Maybe on a harder level the AI would have got me by now.

But the main issue here is that they are fielding such a large fleet for no strategic reason from what I can see. If the AI was written to not make big fleets like that then that should fix the problem. That would avoid the bandaid of having to limit the engagements in the first place (unless a player made a large fleet like that but then that's their own doing and would be purposely breaking the game).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  15. medway

medway Lieutenant

Maybe cap the AI fleets to something smaller like 50 or so unless the player is also fielding large fleets. In other words only have the AI make such big fleets when it actually needs to.

From what I've seen the auto resolve works fine on this large fleet. That way if a player wanted to make large fleets they can and just use the auto resolve in that case (and the AI would respond with large fleets too).

But for cases like mine when someone wants to play longer we can still do manual battles as long as the AI is programmed not to make fleets that choke the AI battle screen (where those large fleets serve no purpose for helping the AI - in fact, the super large fleet they are making is actually hurting their efforts to stop me as snipe one system at a time as they try to follow me around). Then it's a win-win, better AI and the ability to play longer games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aReclusiveMind

Well my point was there is a reason all turn based strategy games limit the number of units that can take part in a battle. Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Wonders, Endless Legend, etc.

Allowing an unlimited number causes the battle screen to get crowded and also causes combat to take forever. This is why I proposed a multi-turn engagement mechanic to limit how many units are in a single battle. It would only come into play in very large engagements like the ones described here.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Konstantine

I supported this... I suggested some sort of command limits decades ago... (feels that way at least), but I'm hesitant to introduce artificial limits, especially when it seems that the AI should have stomped him when he refused the vote. The game should have ended prior to this.
    If he's going to turn down the council vote, it should get uglier much faster than this, He should have either went all out or the AI should have. Is it possible to accept the council vote and continue? It should not be an option.

Fair enough, but accepting the council vote when you lose it, should equal game over... otherwise we are asking for trouble, not the player.

On any level the AI should have gone after you if you refuse to accept the council decision. The AI can't be this passive in such a situation, it's war to the death when you go against the council vote, just like in MoO2
    Yes, I agree in theory, but this never should have happened to this degree. There should be some cap, but we need to address them from another angle as well.

18. medway

medway Lieutenant

Yes agree the AI should have gone after me. More importantly they need to not have so big of fleets. Even if they did go after me right away with a large fleet then it would be an issue but I'm not sure what size it was at the time. As long as they don't make big fleets even if they didn't go after me right away it would have been fine.

There might not need to be an artificial limit on the fleet size, the AI just needs to create them more effectively. Then that problem will solve itself in most cases unless someone really dragged out the game. That will also allow a bit more freedom for players to go longer if they want and the AI can still maintain itself.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. aReclusiveMind

20. medway

medway Lieutenant

What's the max display on the battle map? It seemed around 30 ships.