ISG Dev Diary #8 - Pre-Alpha 10 Features Preview

Discussion in 'Development News' started by Adam Solo, Jan 23, 2018.

1. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Well, its not understandable for me where this need for gpu power comes from.
    When i play on normal, I have a quiet PC. Will begin when there is time again :)
    Just to make sure you understand: I have no game that needs that much GPU power. Not PUBG, not any other Space Sim, not Supreme Commander..
    Well, there was one that was almost as GPU hungry: Sword Of The Stars 2!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Wow, amazing job rxnnxs, thanks a lot for that!

I confess that we haven't devoted much time to graphical optimizations yet. We do limit the framerate, to keep the CPU (and the GPU we hoped) from going overboard. And, for a while people seemed to be content with that (some people reported their fans going crazy in the past, and the issue seemed resolved). However, we must have a look at that GPU usage and load. On very high it's really an "all in" no-care taken high graphical setting at the moment, to see till where we could go.

In fact, you hardly need to go above High at the moment, to see all the game has to offer quality-wise. Ok, so maybe very high will give you even higher anti-alising, but the rest you'll hardly notice (e.g. further shadows quality and stuff).

Normal seems "Ok" in terms of GPU usage, by what you report (66% max usage perhaps). However, Very high goes to almost 100%, in the system and colony views. It's understandable to some degree, since those are the areas that are more graphics intensive.

We'll investigate this. In the meantime, perhaps you could try High settings, to see if it's a good compromise in terms of resource usage for the time being?

Thanks again.

3. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Good that I could help :) Now I start playing :)