Memory usage on desktop compared to laptop

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by medway, Nov 3, 2018.

1. medway

medway Lieutenant

Hi just got the game and looks great so far.

On my Win 7 x64 laptop it uses between 3.5-4.5 gigs which makes the game sluggish (this laptop only has 6 gigs). I have a NVM5400 card there too.

On my desktop with the same OS it uses 2.5 gigs and runs fine even on max settings.

Is there anything I can to do try to get the usage down to 2.5 on the laptop? It should run fine then I'd imagine. I've already tried reducing the graphic settings to low. They make the game run smoother but the memory usage is the same.

Cheers

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Thanks for pre-ordering the game. Good to hear you're liking it so far.

The difference you see in RAM usage from your laptop and desktop is because most probably you have an integrated graphics card in your laptop with no dedicated memory, like an Intel HD 4000 or similiar card, while you have a graphics card with dedicated RAM in your desktop.

What this means is that the laptop's graphics card will use the system's RAM for the graphics data storage. So, instead of consuming the normal 2.5GB of RAM, the game will use around 4.5GB of system RAM (since the graphics card has no dedicated RAM). Usually, a graphics card has around 1GB up to 4GB DDR3/5 RAM, which is usually much faster than system RAM, as well.

Let us know what are your graphics cards, in both the laptop and desktop.

In the meantime, we'll see what we can do to optimize the RAM usage of the game.

\Edit: Sorry, I realize you already said what graphics card you have in your laptop, the NVM5400 card. Could it be the "NVIDIA NVS 5400M"?

\Edit2: Could you also send us the output_log.txt file when you run the game on your laptop? The log can be found in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\LocalLow\Praxis Games\ISG\ You can upload files here by using the "Upload a File" button n or "More options" -> "Upload a file" that you can find the lower right. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. medway

medway Lieutenant

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. And yes sorry I meant the NVS 5400M which shows 1GB of memory. I did think that might be the issue but wanted to check here.

My desktop has an AMD R9 270x with 2GB which seems to account for the 1GB less system memory needed on that setup although sometimes it's 2GB more so maybe something else is going on.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  4. medway

medway Lieutenant

Here's the log.

Attached Files:

5. Adam Solo

Thanks for the output log. Yes, 1GB RAM difference is due to the laptop's card having 1GB and your desktop 2GB. However, there's still 1GB different at work here, so it should be something else as you say.

Could you do me a favor? Could you send me a screenshot of your GPU performance stats, which includes the memory usage? You can find it in the Windows Task Manager and then click the Performance tab and then select the GPU below. Could you send a screenshot for both the laptop and desktop? Thanks a lot!

Here's mine when starting a new game.

performanceGPU.jpg

6. medway

medway Lieutenant

Here's the stats for the laptop. I'm on Win7 so don't think I have that ability in task manager, I used GPU-Z instead.

laptop.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. medway

medway Lieutenant

And desktop:

desktop.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Adam Solo

Thanks for the stats, they were helpful.

I have good news for Win7 users such as youself who have laptops with integrated graphics cards with none or low memory. We were able to optimize the RAM usage to use ~1GB less RAM. The audio was being loaded all upfront, causing the game to use 1.27GB of RAM for that alone! While this was kind of easy for a 2GB graphics card to digest, it was causing a lot of stress on systems with integrated graphics cards, with low or no dedicated memory.

I just made a test in Win7 and the memory footprint has lowered from the ~4.2GB you report to 3.3GB.

I think you will have a better time loading and running the game with this optimization medway. This optimization will be available in the next build, as soon as we solve the most pressing bugs and performance issues.

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. medway

medway Lieutenant

Thanks that's great news! This particular laptop only has 6gb so the extra gb will really help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. medway

medway Lieutenant

Looking better on the Desktop now. I get about 550Mb used when going to the homescreen. Creating a new game with 4 players results in 1.5Gb used.

Only issue so far is this popped up as soon as I moved the star map around:

editor.png

11. Adam Solo

Yeah, those memory numbers you're getting on your desktop are inline with what we were expecting.

12. MalRey

MalRey Developer Lieutenant

You can disable the debug log viewer in game settings (Internal Log Viewer). This is good for you guys to help us to identify the location in code for some potential bug that may appear. To activate you press the left mouse button and make a circle with the mouse.

Note: If you install the game in a machine that never had ISG installed before this log viewer is now closed by default.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. medway

medway Lieutenant

Laptop figures: 2Gb at homescreen, and 4.15Gb when in a new game (4 players) so no change there.

14. Adam Solo

For the memory issue in your laptop, what are your graphics cards there, the exact models?

I believe you said to have an Intel HD 4000 integrated card, but you also said to have a NVidia card in the laptop? Correct? What's your NVidia card model, which is the one you're running the game on I suppose. I ask because I need to check how much memory that card has to be able to assess this memory issue better.

Thanks!

15. medway

medway Lieutenant

Thanks. Just updated them and same issue. Cheers

16. medway

medway Lieutenant

Yes I have both. As per the other post I have the game set to use the Nvidia one using the Nvidia app.

Laptop Nvidia NVS 5400M

17. Adam Solo

Can you confirm that you're launching the game with the Nvidia card? You can right click on the game's shortcut icon to force which card to run the game on. There is an option at the top when you do right click in the shortcut where you can choose which card to launch the game. It will show you your High performance card (Nvidia) and your integrated card (Intel) as options. Let us know your memory footprint in the laptop when launching the game with the High performance card.

18. medway

medway Lieutenant

Yes it's selected in the Nvidia app menu for the .exe and shows as running in the systray app.

19. medway

medway Lieutenant

I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall. I tried uninstalling the old v11 and then the new v11 hotfix wouldn't run. Maybe there was some conflict or shared data there. Wiping both and will reinstall the hotfix fresh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. medway

medway Lieutenant

Reinstalled and same stats. My system is setup to automatically use the Nvidia card by default. I confirmed this when loading the game and the systray icon showed the card being used as soon as it launched. Also this GPU app shows the usage happening on the card.

Still 2Gb at the home screen and 4.1Gb when in a new game.

At home screen:

home.png

In a new game:

game.png