Memory usage on desktop compared to laptop

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by medway, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

So, you reported having 4.5GB consumed in your laptop with the Pre-Alpha 11 Unstable and now 4.1GB with the Pre-Alpha 11 Unstable hotfix. Not much difference there.

Could you please process a turn while in the game (it cleans memory during turn processing), then wait a few seconds and check again the memory usage in the task bar (the hotfix EXE process memory usage)?

2. medway

medway Lieutenant

Out of curiosity I tried loading it with the Intel HD4000. I takes about a 1Gb less with that card (3.2Gb with 4 players vs 4.2Gb with the Nvidia card).

3. medway

medway Lieutenant

b
    Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that and the usage seems to have settled at around 4.08Gb. As a previous benchmark in PA11 4.2Gb is more accurate than 4.5Gb. I think the usage only got to 4.5 one time but generally it was more consistent around 4.2Gb as shown in post #6.

4. Adam Solo

Yes, 3.2GB is more in line with what we were expecting for this new build.

In any case, we expect to do further memory optimizations for the next build. Let's see what you get then.

5. medway

medway Lieutenant

Ok sounds good. Only issue with using the HD4000 is that the graphics are very poor compared to the Nvidia card so I'll wait for that to get optimized before trying on the laptop again.

Also I never tested the HD4000 with the old version so not sure if there was an improvement in the hotfix or if that's just how it was (meaning it might have been 3.2Gb so there might not have been an improvement). So when I say it takes 1GB less I don't mean compared to PA11, I mean compared to the Nvidia card.

The HD4000 has dynamic memory sharing with the main system memory so that might be affecting the results.

Can you send me PA11 non hotfix so I can test?

6. Adam Solo

Sure, I've sent you the link via PM.

7. medway

medway Lieutenant

Ok here are the stats for the PA11 and PA11 Hotfix across my dekstop and laptop:

Desktop - ASUS R9 270X (2Gb video memory)

PA11 Home: 1.7Gb Game: 2.6Gb
    PA11HF Home: 560Mb Game: 1.7Gb

Difference: 1.3Gb ingame from PA11 to PA11HF

Laptop - NVidia NVS5400M (dedicated card, 1Gb video memory)

PA11 Nvidia Home: 3.5Gb Game: 4.2Gb
    PA11HF Nvidia Home: 2.1Gb Game: 4.15Gb

Difference: 0.05Gb ingame from PA11 to PA11HF

Laptop - HD4000 (integrated card, shares system memory)

PA11 HD4000 Home: 3.4Gb Game: 3.4Gb
    PA11HF HD4000 Home: 2.2Gb Game: 3.2Gb

Difference: 0.2Gb ingame from PA11 to PA11HF

On the desktop it got a 1.1Gb reduction on the homescreen which transferred to in game that also has about 1.3Gb less memory. This coincides with what would be expected based off the hotfix notes.

With the laptop it was also reduced about 1.2Gb at the home screen but neither card got any benefit in the actual game.

Also, for some reason even though the Nvidia card has 1Gb less video memory it's taking almost 2.5Gb more in game.

How much music loads in the game at a time now? And would it be possible to get a version that allows disabling the music load entirely to test?

How much music is contained total in that 1.5Gb? A standard format for one hour of CD quality music would be about 650 meg.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Adam Solo

Thanks a lot for this analysis.

Regarding the memory figures you get with your NVidia NVS5400M card it seems that memory usage as reported by Windows task bar varies greatly. Some times the task bar memory figures seem to report to the total memory being consumed, other times to only the portion that is not being used by your graphics card. It's strange that your HD 4000 reports using 3.2GB while your NVidia which supposedly has 1GB VRAM reports 4.2GB. One would expect to be the other way around, since it's the Intel HD that should not have dedicated VRAM.

In the desktop you get 1.3GB reduction, which is inline with what we were expecting. However, looking at the figures in your laptop it seems there was not much difference from the previous version to the hotfix. They both have Windows 7 from what I understand, so I guess it depends on the system, on how it manages memory between the card and the system RAM. Also, let's not forget that Windows adds other things on top like drivers, etc.

Looking at the numbers on your laptop, it seems that the decision to not load all audio has caused no big difference and almost all the same memory is being used in the end. I suspect there may be memory that doesn't get released during the game start/generation process. Could you please check the memory values during a normal playsession? I ask because I suspect the numbers in your Laptop will slowly but steadily get down while you play the game. I know it's counter-intuitive, as you'd assume the numbers would go up with time. Basically, I suspect there is a memory peak when generating the galaxy map and then that memory will only get garbage collected over time. This could explain the crash Mezmorki is reporting on his laptop.

We're doing further memory optimizations, including unloading/garbage collecting memory before and during the galaxy generation procedure. I suspect that when we do this we'll see less memory being loaded at the beginning and possibly solve Mezmorki's crash as well.

If you find the time, please let us know what kind of memory figures you have during a game session.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  9. medway

medway Lieutenant

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. Yes there's something weird about how the Nvidia is being used here. And just to be clear all the figures are from the game .exe as reported in the taskmanager.

I forgot to mention I did try running some turns on the laptop to see if the usage came down. After about 3-4 of them it reduced a total of 100-200Mb. I can try more turns to see if that comes down further, though. Will report on those later today.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 2